ASE is proud to donate 4% of your au pair placement fees (€1035 in 2017) to UNICEF
What is so good about being an Au pair? Going abroad as an Au pair is a fascinating experience and, if you decide to go ahead, will require certain documentation. It offers you a unique opportunity to discover not only a foreign country, but also its people, its society and its culture. Being an Au pair is not just “a trip abroad” – it is a cultural exchange programme. There is no better way to really come to know a foreign culture than being part of that culture, living with a family. Furthermore, you learn a foreign language as it is spoken by real people, in real-life everyday situations. But as an Au pair you also find out a lot about yourself and your own culture. You will learn to see your own culture and your own society in a new light, through the eyes of a foreigner.
Whether you’re looking for beautiful countryside or rich heritage in the cities, you’ll find it in Ireland. So now, you’ve decided you want to go abroad as an Au pair. Where to go is your next decision. Of course, there are other possibilities, apart from Ireland. The U.K. or the U.S., for example. We admit to being a little biased, however, when we recommend Ireland as the best possible environment for an Au pair. It is a country steeped in culture and heritage, it is easily accessible from your country, it is safe, and last but not least, the people are friendly and welcoming. in your free time, a bus or train ride will take you to see spectacularly beautiful Kerry. How about going on a trip via pony and “trap” around the National Park in Killarney? Or visiting the wonderful Gap of Dunloe? Or paying a visit to the Burren in County Clare? On the other hand, maybe you’re someone who likes city life. Well why not take a train from Cork to Dublin’s Heuston Station and spend Saturday wandering around Grafton Street, drinking coffee, doing a little shopping, and soaking up the music of the buskers… Have we convinced you yet?
What ASE offers Au pairs
- Before Au pairs arrive in Ireland, it is ASE’s policy to check and assess every host family’s suitability to our cultural exchange programme.
- We then seek to find the best possible match for every Au pair and every family.
- Upon her arrival, every Au pair receives a letter, welcoming her to Ireland and inviting her to an orientation meeting. She is also given a hotline number of her German-speaking contact person in Ireland.
- A few days after her arrival, we will ring her, introduce ourselves, ask her how she is settling in and whether she has any questions. We will also provide her with the contact details of other Au pairs who live in her area.
- Bi-weekly meetings for Au pairs take place in a typical Irish pub, the AN SPAILPIN FANACH, on South Main Street opposite the former Beamish Brewery in Cork City Centre. There, Au pairs can meet their contact person, meet other Au pairs, share their experiences, address possible issues and difficulties… and have a lot of fun.
- Twice a year the agency organises weekend bus trips to interesting places in Ireland which might be difficult to get to without a car. We stay overnight in hostels, cook together and go out together. While the trips include a lot of sightseeing, they also offer a good opportunity to get to know other Au pairs. There is no shortage of “craic” (pronounced “crack”, Irish for “fun”!)
- And there is more, such as Christmas parties, whale watching boat trips, and so on… keep an eye on our Events.
- ASE Christmas Party 2017 – watch on Facebook!
You may have just a smattering of English now. In a year, though, things will be very different. In cooperation with the Language Centre of University College Cork, Au pair Service Europe offers English classes which are specifically designed for Au pairs. The courses are available at affordable rates and have been set up with the specific requirements of Au pairs in mind. Our experienced teachers are looking forward to meeting you. The courses are offered on various levels, including a preparation course for the Cambridge Certificate. More information regarding the courses, prices etc. will be provided at the orientation meetings.